Saturday, June 2, 2007

Defining "Kid-Friendly"

Just what do I mean by "kid-friendly"? Well, I imagine a kid-friendly spectrum that goes something like this:

kidspot rating 3: Places that (or people who) allow or are indifferent towards kids. For example, most coffeeshops- you can bring kids there and no one really cares.

kidspot rating 2: Places that (or people who) welcome kids and have some things for kids to do. For example, some grocery stores have carts that look like cars, which is fun for kids and may make your shopping easier, but those same stores may not have a changing table in the bathroom, which makes diaper changes pretty rough.

kidspot rating 1: Places that (or people who) go above and beyond welcoming kids- they've really thought through how to make you and your child feel comfortable. For example, at least one store I know has not only bathrooms with changing tables, but they'll give you a free diaper if you need one! (More on that place in a future post...)

I've also decided to give half-points- most likely you'll see 1.5's. That's because it takes a lot for me to give a place a "1"- I'm a really tough grader!



1 comment:

Justine said...

Excellent blog! Wish I'd known about this when my 5 y.o. was a baby. It's been a long road finding "kidspots" to engage young minds and delight young hearts (while finding time for mom to unwind a bit as well).

I'll be spending some time lurking here for certain, as I now have a 2 y.o. to entertain all day and would love to add some new spots to the rotation. Thank you!!